Favorite quotes from films

“Anything can be great. I don’t care, bricklaying can be great, if a guy knows. If he knows what he’s doing and why and if he can make it come off. When I’m goin’, I mean, when I’m really goin’ I feel like a... like a jockey must feel. He’s sittin’ on his horse, he’s got all that speed and that power underneath him... he’s comin’ into the stretch, the pressure’s on him, and he knows ... just feels... when to let it go and how much. Cause he’s got everything workin’ for him: timing, touch. It’s a great feeling, boy, it’s a real great feeling when you’re right and you know you’re right. It’s like all of a sudden I got oil in my arm. The pool cue’s part of me. You know, it’s a - pool cue, it's got nerves in it. It’s a piece of wood, it’s got nerves in it. Feel the roll of those balls, you don’t have to look, you just know. You make shots that nobody’s ever made before. I can play that game the way... nobody’s ever played it before.”
– Fast Eddie (Paul Newman) in “The Hustler”
“in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock.”
- Harry Lime (Orson Wells) in "The Third Man"